9.15.2009

Amazing

My mom donated bone marrow today. She signed up on a registry about eight years ago. A few months ago she found out that she was a possible match. After further testing, it was determined that she was a match. She began a series of injections on Thursday to boost her white blood cells/stem cells and then went in yesterday for the collection. They finished up today.

The recipient of my mother's stem cells is a 20-year-old girl with acute leukemia. Please keep this woman in your thoughts and prayers. She has a 50% chance after receiving my mother's stem cells. She needs all the thoughts and prayers we can send her way.

I am so incredibly proud of my mother. The gift that she is giving this young woman is simply amazing.

1 comment:

m--e said...

Awesome!! Jon and I signed up to do that a few years ago, but we since we moved to China we had to remove ourselves since we wouldn't be able to donate marrow quickly if needed.

It's really easy to sign up. All they need is a swab with your saliva to put you on the registry. No needles necessary.